Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Happy Teacher's Day!

When I walked into my early morning class today, I was pleasantly surprised to find a rose on my podium. I was also greeted with 35 smiling faces and 35 voices cheerfully wishing me a Happy Teacher's Day. Peter had told us about this, but I had forgotten. Since teachers are highly respected here, it's a holiday that is actually observed and celebrated. So Happy Teacher's Day to all of my fellow Laoshi!
Last night the six of us here in Qufu were invited to a banquet to welcome all of the foreign teachers. It was a very nice dinner, and the food was delicious. I especially enjoyed the deep fried shrimp, which closely resembled popcorn shrimp (only they were much better). For the most part, the girls sat at two of the tables, and the guys sat at their own table, so as to engage in their custom of many toasts=heavy drinking. We girls sipped some very concentrated juice and Chinese tea. I met one of the ELIC teachers from Qu Shi Da, named Lisa. She was very friendly, and I enjoyed talking with her. I also heard about Lucy's speech, given to over 10,000 people. I really wish I could have been there to witness it. Kudos to Lucy for maintaining enough composure to carry out such an honor!
I now find myself with a stack of over 60 notebooks containing the most recent HW assignment from my writing classes. Needless to say, I have plenty to fill my "idle" hours.

3 comments:

PeterC said...

Hi all: Love this idea and am happy to follow along with you this year. My friend, Elizabeth Kendrick, and I were the first to go over in 1989-1990 (U of Petr) and not a day goes by still that I do not think of Dongying for some reason or another. Good luck and stay in touch! PC

amanda said...

Love this blog! I kept a blog when I was in Qufu 2006-2007...but we didn't keep a group blog. Great idea everyone! :)
if you want to check mine out...you might get some ideas of places to go, etc. its http:www.amandainqufu.blogspot.com
I still have pictures and commentary to upload to it (which is sad since it's now going on 2 yrs):)
Keep having fun guys, seriously...it might seem hard sometimes but i swear you'll miss it when you're done!

amanda said...

p.s. 教师节快乐!